6.10.2010

my vintage collection: Hummel figurines

With my constant keen desire to hunt and gather, categorize, share and brag a little, I am starting a blog post series here that I’ll call ‘my vintage collection’. Much like the genius project of Lisa Congdon, except it won’t be a daily post because goodness I don’t know where and how does a person keep and store such a wide assortment of collection? And I wouldn't especially collect something like this or this as I wouldn't know where to keep them and why for that reason. Ok, I shouldn’t talk because I do keep a pretty good size collection of stuff myself.

So, once or twice a week I will post a photo of a vintage collection in my possession. It could be things that I’ve had for many years and plan on keeping or previously thrifted items that will be listed in my Etsy shop.

Either way I will state the when, why and where of the collection being featured. I figure since I can’t really keep everything that I find from my daily thrifting, or have you come over for a tea or coffee to see my collection on display the least I could do is display them here by posting an image of the collection that I am lucky enough to get my hands on.



So welcome to my first “vintage collection” post; today I am featuring my Hummel collection.



When: I started collecting Hummel when I was pregnant with my twins. From 2004 and lasted thru 2006, budget was tight and I couldn't afford them anymore plus I moved onto collecting different other vintage things.



Why: I was smitten by how adorable they look and how they make the room feel so cheery and warm, and I was nesting at that time so they seem to look even cuter.



Where: The very first one I bought was from an estate sale (it was a girl sitting on a fence, aptly named Just Resting with Full Bee marking), and right away it piqued my interest. I started bidding on Ebay and going to estate sale that advertises Hummel figurines. I started paying closer attention to the markings on the underside and only bought the ones with full be markings. I was determined to dominate the exciting world of Hummel collecting and even bought a few books about the subject.



Keeping or Selling: I’m keeping them and maybe passing them on to my daughter someday, that is if she doesn’t think they’re too lame...haha!


.
.
.
I’d love to hear what you are gathering and collecting these days, please do share!

7 comments:

  1. i just posted about lisa's project on facebook so it was funny to see it here, too....

    my mother and grandmother collected hummels as did many of their peers and i inherited it. i gave away my collection a few years back to someone that admired them--i have to admit i had tired of them after looking at them all my life ;-)

    here you can buy whole collections of hummels very inexpensively ( $1-3 apiece for full bees) and i think a lot of young people are 'rediscovering' them. i'll look forward to seeing more of your collections ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are so lovely! You have such an awesome collection :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea- I look forward to seeing more! I seem to be collecting vintage bedsheets more than anything else these days. I do love them so!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my etsy shop seems to have a growing owl collection. but my personal collection is a type of friendship doll called momiji. sort of like a kokeshi, but small, and these have a 'secret' spot for a little note

    ReplyDelete
  5. still amaze me of your craft and collection. Sometimes i wonder if its possible to have a branch here of your shop..hahahaha. Please read my email to you in facebook or in freindster. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice collection. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello. how do i go about ordering your etsy items? i could not find your email anywhere. do let me know- thanks! harith_hiliza@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete