6.15.2010

my vintage collection: majolica plates

This next collection of mine started out on a whim (which is really the case for most of my collections). I was once leafing through some home décor magazine at the library looking for some inspiration just after moving into our new home. I came upon a page showing a vast collection of majolica plates displayed in a large antique china cabinet. Suddenly envisioning my dining room looking the same with a vintage china with large groupings of Etruscan shell and seaweed pieces; I went home and prowled Ebay and then antique shops hoping to start a collection; later found a couple from Goodwill and Ebay for a good price. But finally conceded they are collector items for the wealthy and I stopped after just about half a dozen pieces. Here is the extent of my collection. They are currently tucked away in a storage cabinet in my basement until I figure out where to diplay them.

I swear I collect things with the most impractical and silliest motivations.









when: I started collecting in 2005 when I moved in to our new home.
where: bought a couple from Ebay, one from an antique mall and a couple from Goodwill.
keeping or selling: keeping and finding a wall to display them.

8 comments:

  1. Nothing wrong with collecting some things! Especially when they are as interesting and pretty as these. My fave is that smaller blue one. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Pretty!
    What make a majolica a majolica? Any special markings?
    xo
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this series on your collections! I also start mine on a whim, and mine have no real practical applications, either. These plates are quite beautiful- I like that smallest blue one best as well, but they make a lovely grouping all together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not an expert by no means, but I've got couple of books about Majolica. The book defines it as a pottery formed by a clay gently fired and then covered with an opaque background glaze of lead and tin enamel. The decoration is then painted on the dried unfired background glaze...when the piece is next fired the transluscent and richly colored glaze impart a lustrious, silky brilliance that is a characteristic pf a true Victorian majolica.

    There are many different markings of majolica, mine has Germany and numbers on them. A good reference book I recommend is Majolica by Marilyn G. Karmason with complete history and colourful illustration of the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd never heard of majolica before, but these are gorgeous! I can see why you started a collection. :)

    ReplyDelete